As we get further into 2017, you may have noticed a shift in businesses’ attitudes about social. With better data, more detailed advertising parameters, and a growing user base, social media is one avenue you should be investing in as a business owner.
Below we have more than 100 of the latest social media statistics (2017) you need to see, for each platform—Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and yes, Snapchat. We also include takeaways for each social network to help guide your social strategy.
We hope these social network stats help grow your bottom line! Social Media Demographics
1. 75% of male internet users are on Facebook as well as 83% of female internet users.
2. 32% of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most important social network.
3. Female internet users are more likely to use Instagram than men, at 38% vs. 26%.
4. 29% of internet users with college degrees use Twitter, compared to 20% with high school degrees or less.
5. 81% of millennials check Twitter at least once per day.
6. Most Instagram users are between 18-29 years old, about six-in-ten online adults.
7. On any given day, Snapchat reaches 41% of 18 to 34-year-olds in the US.
8. Facebook continues to be the most widely used social media platform, with 79% of American internet users.
9. Based on total population, (not just internet users) 68% of U.S. adults are on Facebook.
10. Instagram receives the silver medal with 32% of users, Pinterest coming in a close third with 31%, and LinkedIn and Twitter at 29% and 24% respectively.
11. More than 56% of online adults use more than one social media platform.
12. 69% of adults use at least one social media site Social Media Statistics By Social Network 2017
1. 22% of the world’s total population uses Facebook.
2. Facebook continues to be the most widely used social media platform, with 79% of American internet users.
3. Based on total population, (not just internet users) 68% of U.S. adults are on Facebook.
4. 76% of Facebook users visited the site daily during 2016, with over 1.6 billion daily visitors, compared to 70% of daily usage in 2015.
5. There are 1.15 billion mobile daily active users (Mobile DAU) for December 2016, an increase of 23% year-over-year.
6. More than 65 million businesses have a Facebook business page.
7. 100 million hours of video content are watched on Facebook daily.
8. 88% of 18 – 29 year olds are on Facebook.
9. 79% of 30 – 49 year olds are on Facebook.
10. 61% of 50 – 64 year olds are on Facebook.
11. 11. 77% of college grads use Facebook.
12. 76% of Facebook users use the site daily.
13. Facebook users are 76% female (out of 100% of all females) and 66% male (out of 100% of all males).
14. A Facebook post at 7pm will result in more clicks on average than posting at 8pm.
15. On Thursdays and Fridays, engagement is 18% higher.
16. Every 60 seconds on Facebook: 510,000 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and 136,000 photos are uploaded.
17. Facebook accounts for one in every six minutes spent online and one in every five minutes spent on mobile.
18. The average Facebook user has 155 friends. Women have more Facebook friends on average than men: 166 compared to 145.
19. The site tallies 8 billion average daily video views.
20. Facebook users rack up 100 million hours of daily video watch time.
21. More than 2 million advertisers regularly use Facebook to market their business.
22. Every month, 2.5 billion comments are made on Facebook Pages.
23. Highest Facebook traffic occurs mid-week between 1 to 3 pm.
24. Organic reach for Facebook is between 2% – 8%. TWITTER STATISTICS
1. 88% of businesses with more than 100 employees use twitter for marketing purposes.
2. 36% of 18 – 29 year olds use Twitter.
3. 22% of 30 – 49 year olds use Twitter.
4. 18% of 50 – 64 year olds use Twitter.
5. 42% of Twitter users use the site daily.
6. 8% of US Companies use Twitter for marketing purposes.
7. 74% of Twitter users follow small businesses to get product updates.
1. YouTube overall, and even YouTube on mobile alone, reaches more 18-34 and 18-49 year-olds than any cable network in the U.S.
2. Just 10 thousand YouTube videos have generated more than 1 billion views.
3. More than half of all YouTube views are on mobile devices.
4. The number of channels earning six figures per year on YouTube is up 50% y/y.
5. The YouTube Spaces team is focused on helping creators make great content through strategic programs and workshops largely administered at the YouTube Space production facilities in Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Sao Paulo and Berlin.
6. As of March 2015, creators filming in YouTube Spaces have produced over 10,000 videos which have generated over 1 billion views and 70+ million hours of watch time.
7. 70% of traffic to YouTube is from mobile.
8. On average, 1 billion hours of video is watched per day.
9. On average, a typical YouTube session is 40 minutes.
10. There are an estimated 400 hours of new videos uploaded to YouTube every minute.
1. 51% of Instagram users access the platform daily, and 35% say they look at the platform several times per day.
2. 59% of 18 – 29 year olds use Instagram.
3. 31% of 30 – 49 year olds use Instagram.
4. 13% of 50 – 64 year olds use Instagram.
5. 6% of the US population is estimated to use Instagram.
6. Female internet users are more likely to use Instagram than men, at 38% vs. 26%.
7. 32% of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most important social network.
8. 32% of Instagram users attended college.
9. There are 8 million registered businesses using Instagram business profiles.
10. Instagram has1 million monthly active advertisers—up from just 200,000 in March 2016.
11. 60% of the top brands on Instagram use the same filter for every post. LINKEDIN STATISTICS
1. The average LinkedIn user spends 17 minutes on the site per month.
2. On LinkedIn, 98% of posts with images receive more comments and posts with links have a 200% higher engagement rate.
3. More than 1 million LinkedIn users have published long-form content, with 160,000 long-form posts being published weekly.
4. Over 19.7 million SlideShare presentations have been uploaded to the platform.
5. 49% of college graduates use LinkedIn.
6. 45% of adults making more than $75,000 per year are on LinkedIn.
7. 34% of 18 – 29 year olds use LinkedIn.
8. 31% of 30 – 49 year olds use Linkedin.
9. 21% of 50 – 64 year olds use LinkedIn.
10. 18% of LinkedIn user use the site daily, 31% use it weekly.
11. There are two new LinkedIn members per second.
12. 3 million users share content weekly.
Customer Interaction and Business Adoption Stats
1. Only 13% of small businesses use social media for communication with customers.
2. 59% of Americans with social media accounts think that customer service through social media has made it easier to get questions answered and issues resolved.
3. 48% of Americans have interacted with companies or institutions on at least one social media network.
4. 41% of Americans say it’s important that the institutions they engage with have a strong social media presence.
5. Of those Americans who have a social media account, 28% would rather engage with a brand/organization on social media than visit a physical location.
6. Nearly one-third of Facebook users (32%) engage with brands regularly.
7. A significant 90% of marketers said that social media is important to their businesses.
8. A significant 63% of marketers are using social media for 6 hours or more and 39% for 11 or more hours weekly.
9. Of those who have been using social media for at least 1 year, 63% found it useful for building a loyal fan base.
10. Almost 90% of marketers say their social marketing efforts have increased exposure for their business, and 75% say they’ve increased traffic
11. More than 50% of marketers who have been implementing social media marketing tactics for two years have reported improved sales
12. Social media plays an important role in B2B relationships. 64% of brands follow other businesses on social media.